Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus, Oh My!

Whoever schedules exams in Brown Science center has a truly sick sense of humor. By which I mean that the compilation of tests dates that occurs as a consequence of the nearly identical way in which all math and science teachers divide their material is a cruel cruel thing for students. Last week, I had my first exams in Chemistry II, Physics II, and Calculus III, one on Wednesday morning, one Thursday afternoon, and another Thursday evening. It's not exactly having to take a lot of tests at once that bothers me, it was just a little challenging to study for all three of these things at once. By which I mean, I spent a lot of time studying, and not so much time doing...well...anything else.

Luckily however, this first round of tests has passed, and overall, I think successfully. I have been reminded once again however, that I should probably try to avoid taking two labs and three math/science classes in the same semester in the future. Regardless, if nothing else, the catharsis after finishing it all was quite wonderful, as was this weekend celebrating Chinese New Year's and a return to free time after it was all said and done.

In addition to just enjoying hanging out with people, I'm looking forward to what is coming up. Next week will mark the date of carousel for myself and any other potential RA's for the 2011-2012 academic year. This is a series of team building activities and group evaluations which should take a couple hours, and is the last step in the selection process in which everyone participates, in addition to the written application and the intake interview. After this, I just have to wait and see if my application thus far has been strong enough to secure an interview with the Director of Residence Life, and from there, I may find out whether I've got the job. *Fingers crossed!

Finally, I'm more and more becoming swayed to do something rather interesting with my time this summer. One of my friends, a graduating senior, is planning on hiking a little over 1,100 miles of the Appalachian Trail this summer, from West Virginia to Maine. She has invited me to join her, and the more I talk to her about it, the more I really want to try and make it happen. My goal ideally was to work at the Governor's Scholars Program or on a Research experience abroad, but especially as a freshman, both of these things have proved rather elusive and difficult to procure. So, I suppose I shall just have to wait and see what happens! Until then, I suppose it's back to my chemistry, physics, and calculus. Good times, good times

No comments: