Sunday, January 23, 2011

Night of The Living RA!!!

What a terrible Blog title. I mean really, I think I came up with better stuff in the fourth grade. I blame my roommate, someone needs to remind me to never ask him for help with a title again. Still, I guess it was kind of appropriate, since the two things I told him I wanted to talk about were RA applications and...well...zombies.

I'll start with the important one, zombies. You see, I've noticed something rather peculiar, an almost frightening phenomenon around campus. Thankfully, no one is walking around with oddly rotting flesh trying to nibble on other people's cranium. However, I have become fully aware of what seems to be a bizarre trend of conversation and entertainment among college students. Maybe I was just lame and this was a big deal beforehand, but it seems like conversations of zombie survival are expected to take place here in a way I have never entirely been familiar with. I really have no idea as to the propagation of it all. I can only assume we've all been infected as if by a disease of some sort, possibly viral. Man, that's awful humor.

Seriously though, tonight, while writing this, my roommate is playing Left For Dead, some other friends are playing Dead Rising on my x-box, and just down the hall some guys are playing Call of Duty Black Ops...Nazi Zombies, of course. So I guess my only point here is that if any of you have extensive experience defending against flesh eating monsters, or are even just enthusiasts about the undead, college, or at least my hall in Clay at Transylvania University, might just be the place for you.

So, aside from this rather amusing tidbit, school has been going well. I started today working today as a Natural Science and Mathematics tutor, in calculus specifically, even though I'm only a freshman. I'm actually really glad to have the position, not only is it potentially rewarding, but I get paid to boot! I suppose I should thank my first semester Calculus teacher for recommending me, it was honestly really nice to hear that this early on in my education, one of my teachers already has some sense of confidence in my abilities and or potential.

Speaking of jobs, I just recently applied to hopefully spend next year working as a Residence Adviser. For anyone not familiar with this position, RA's are residence life employees whose job it is both to enforce and maintain campus policies and to foster a powerful and supportive community among residents. It's an involved position with a lot of work and time commitment, but I also see in it potential for a lot of personal growth and reward. Externally, it pays room and board as an incentive, and internally, it an opportunity to take up a role of leadership and responsibility around campus, which I think is always a good thing. With any luck, I will have the privilege of being hired as an RA for the next school year.

So for now, that's about all I've got. School's good, zombies are good, and RA's are, well, hopefully good. The title of this post, in fact, is about the worst thing I can say about school at the moment...it's so abysmal.

No comments: