Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Weekend in...Purdue?

So, I'll try to keep this blog pretty short and sweet without extrapolating too much on random sentimental notions I have about my weekend. But first things first, here's what happened. The traveling Quidditch team here at Transylvania, which I am of course an enthusiastic part of, had its first tournament today. Saturday afternoon the team carpooled the 4.5 hours to Purdue university in Indiana, spent the night, and Sunday was the tourney itself. So, one could argue that my weekend was interesting. One could argue that it was nerdy and not cool. Most of all though, I would argue that it was a lot of fun.

I drove one of the vehicles, my little 1999 Toyota Corolla (great car, highly recommended) with a full load of five people. Which was cozy to say the least. But it was actually a great enough group of people, and an enjoyable enough ride, that even when extra room opened up in other cars, we stayed together. I feel as if I'm not supposed to admit to this in a public forum as a male, but we definitely spent at least an hour jamming out to Disney music; which I'm not ashamed to say. Also, the conversation, serious and, well, not so serious, couldn't have been beaten. Even just by the time we arrived at Purdue, I was extremely happy that I could honestly call my teammates friends as well.

And then it was morning. Play commenced for us at 10:30AM and continued all day. We played a total of seven matches, losing 5 of them (although twice to the same team, once in round robin and once in playoff games) and winning two. I chased as usual, and did a surprising amount of seeking as well, which despite the inherent frustration, I believe I actually enjoyed. We did catch the snitch 4 of the 7 games, unfortunately it's only weighted 30 points in "muggle quidditch" instead of the 150 from Harry Potter. Overall Transylvania played in such a way that we can fair be proud of our games, even most of the losses. We were never slated to win, being a school of 1,100 going up against schools of over 20,000 like Purdue, West Mich, Illinois State, etc. And although I bled in three different places, ended up taking 3 ibuprofen, and am currently exhausted beyond belief, I had a really good time. Which is what it's all about.

With any luck I will be able to get pictures from people and figure out how to add them to this blog within the next few days, at which point I hope the full comic and yet strangely intense visuals can bring some entertainment to someone, or at least to myself. As for now, I have homework to finish, and a bed which looks more compelling that it has ever looked before!

No comments: