Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wait, I thought I was a Math and Physics Major?

Now, I know what my title might suggest. Some sort of existential and or introspective crisis and consequent epiphany following a long period of constant study which has caused me to reevaluate the academic interests and values in my life. Unfortunately, that's not what I meant. What I did mean is that although my studies require little other than pencil, paper, calculator, and occasionally a computer, I spent much of my weekend assisting a friend of mine in an entirely different field of study. Which involved just a little more mud, a little more labor, and a different perspective on research.

I suppose the preconceived notions of research involve people in white lab coats looking intensely into vials of strangely covered fluids being mixed with some sort of collection of incomprehensibly complex machines in the background. Why exactly biochemical medical research has become the icon of all scientific inquiry I'm not quite certain, but it's certainly not the full extent of the ivory tower endeavors in modern science. As I already said, any research I conduct in my fields will be distinctly chemical-less. The incomprehensibly complex machines are still a distinct possibility, but at least cyclotrons and lasers sound cool. My friend however, a senior environmental science major (self designed) has a distinctly different idea of what research means.

I don't know whether my proper title is field assistant or chauffeur but either way, I spent quite a few hours this weekend driving around Lexington, pushing through mud, and collecting samples of water with the esteemed infinitely more qualified environmental scientist. We were effectively locating various points, specifically chosen for their relation to natural or man made sites and phenomena , along streams that run through the city and gathering data. For one, we made use of a dissolved oxygen probe that, much as the name would imply, determines the content of dissolved oxygen in the stream at a given point. We took pictures, noted temperatures, and gathered samples for later work in the lab (this part I won't actually be involved in).

And of course, we got wet, we got muddy, and we got cold. All in the name of science, or at least quality water in Fayette county though. Before getting a chance to work on this project, I didn't think that I wanted to be an environmental scientist, biologist, ecologist, or anything of that sort. After working on it...I still don't think that at all. But still, I think it's good for me that I got to experience; and I think that's one of the major benefits of a campus where everyone knows everyone including LOTS of people completely outside of their area of study. Interdisciplinary study is the academically progressive movement, but even outside of that specifically, just interdisciplinary interaction is stimulating and rewarding.

Seriously though, just think about it: a cyclotron. Coolest sounding huge machine ever!

No comments: