Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wherefore Art Thou Romeo

I was lucky enough this afternoon to be able to see my third drama production here at Transy, my second since becoming an actual student. They performed, as you can probably guess by the title of this entry, the Shakespearean classic, "Romeo and Juliet." Between the thine's, thy's, and thou's, I was pleasantly surprised at how very alive the actors were able to make the story, especially given that it was all performed on a barren stage. Also very interesting, the production was student directed, and I must say quite well at that. I'm not typically a Shakespeare fan; and although I don't think that changed, I at least enjoyed the show more than I thought I would and found a little tiny piece of new respect for the most celebrated writer of the English language.

"Romeo and Juliet" actually continues the rather theatrical weekend I've had. Saturday night I had a chance to see Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker" performed at the Lexington Opera House. It was an excellent professional production of the ballet, and I'm quite glad I was able to attend. Also at the Opera House, I will be going to see Spamalot during the beginning of the next semester, about which I am even more excited. In general, I really love taking advantage of the Opera House, given that it's only maybe a half mile or mile away from Transy.

Outside from the enjoyment of the arts, I should probably be stressing over the week to come, but I'm actually not all that perturbed by finals, at least not yet. Unlike most people, I don't have a final in my philosophy class or in my foundations of the liberal arts class; therefore I only have one for calculus 2 and physics. They are on Thursday and Friday respectively, so come Wednesday I'm sure I won't feel nearly as at ease as I do right now. However, fortunately my semester has gone relatively well in both of these classes, and the score I need to achieve in order to get an A is perfectly reasonable in both.

I'm actually rather enjoying the pre-finals period of time. Most of the true work of the semester is over, and while serious studying is definitely taking place, I find that I have at least a little more free time than I have grown accustomed to over the course of the semester. I've been making use of this time mainly to hang out with friends and enjoy people's company in a way I would have liked to have been able to do all year long. Between movies, rock band 3, and playing in the snow, I'm rather enjoying this right now.

No comments: