Sunday, October 10, 2010

Transy Meets Fall

Ah yes, it's that time of year when the leaves begin changing to a glorious plethora of colors, the air feels fresh and crisp, and plaid shirts once again come into stylistic play. Of course, it's also that time of year when tests are hitting one after another, papers seem to fly toward due dates at lightspeed, and there are a thousand events to go to every single day. But hey, we all have to appreciate the natural fall lest the academic fall get the best of us.

In all seriousness though, I'm quite excited about all of the activities going on, those that I have and have not been able to participate in both. My weekend started Saturday by meeting up with a few of my friends at UK around midnight on Friday. Fun tip, Christian Student Fellowship at UK has free pancakes for anyone and everyone every Friday night at midnight; it's great stuff. After staying and catching up for far too long, I slept four or so hours before leaving for Nicholasville to participate in the "Delta Dash." One of the sororities on campus, Delta Delta Delta, hosts a 5k run/walk as a philanthropic event to raise money for St. Jude Children Research Hospital. I'm not exactly a runner, so while I did run instead of walk, my 26:20 time was nothing to be extremely proud of, although my small contribution toward the great cause definitely was. Overall the Deltas raised over $4,000 in charity, which is absolutely awesome, not to mention indicative of some of the very good things that can come about not just from the greek community, but from any collection of concerned students.

In addition to a great event to start the day off, I ended it with fall festival, an off campus party to celebrate the new pledges to my fraternity. After a great time there, I've come back to a sleepy and homework filled Sunday; something which I'm quickly learning is quite the norm in college. I am excited though about the coming week. From an Indian cultural experience at the international house, a volleyball tournament, and a talk from a Princeton professor, to the Kenan lecture about cosmopolitanism, this week is full of events that I'm excited to attend, and anxious about fitting into my schedule.

As far as developments on campus I'm not directly affiliated with, The Bakkai rehearsals seem to be getting along splendidly from all that I've heard. For anyone not familiar, The Bakkai is originally a Greek Tragedy that has been modernized and adapted to a musical format for the purpose of a performance at Transylvania. I will postpone giving any more information until I have a chance to see it myself, but even from such a brief description one can appreciate the interest there. Also, the improvisation group on campus recently completed auditions for new members and will be rehearsing for their first performance in late October, some laughs that I'm sure many people will be grateful for with midterms fast approaching.

So that's October, just as I remember it from the good old days that consist of all of a year ago. Busy, beautiful, and more busy. But in a certain way, in a certain sense, the aesthetics of staying busy in an individually significant way seem to have as much merit as those of nature. The combination of the two...well, let's just say I'm a big fan of October!

No comments: